ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Re: Domain Monetization Background

  • To: Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Re: Domain Monetization Background
  • From: John L <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:15:53 -0400 (EDT)

I've also been told by registrars that the .ORG objection to the practice is
being pushed by Afilias, the .ORG back-end, which does not have as robust an
infrastructure as Verisign and is less able to handle the load.

Yes, one of the Afilias guys was complaining about how much new stuff they had to put in their data center. As far as I can tell, this has reduced their gross margins from about 99% to 98.5% so my sympathy is limited.

The registries that can handle it, Neustar and Verisign, don't really object because it leads to more registrations...at least for now.

As I said, I don't see why the speculators wouldn't just cancel them all and take their chances unless a domain got a vast amount of traffic. The domains are all pretty much random anyway.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://johnlevine.com, Mayor