ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

RE: [bc-gnso] Vertical integration - Board says yes

  • To: Berry Cobb <berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] Vertical integration - Board says yes
  • From: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 17:57:53 -0500

I know that Steve has prioritized updates on what is 'known' on the Applicant
Guidebook/Resolutions for thursday's call. I hope members can join the
call.Dial in information was sent to you via bcprivate@xxxxxxxxxxx

From: berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 12:17:46 -0800

I view the board resolution not as losing the debate, but more that we, the BC,
supported an outdated legacy position that did not recognize the principles of
an evolving marketplace.  Having participated in the VI WG with 3000+ emails
and circular debates across the spectrum of proposals, my initial position
changed from that of the BC’s to that of a Free Trade model similar to the
Board’s resolution.  If there are any “harms” that result from the gTLD
expansion, it will be tightly coupled to the quantity of gTLDs delegated and
not that of which VI/CO model a Registry operates under.  21 to 500+ is
exponential growth no matter how you look at it.  Many in the VI group used the
analogy of letting the Genie out of the bottle and that it will be impossible
to capture the Genie back.  In this case, the Genie is the quantity of TLDs
delegated; all the while counter to recommendations of a controlled release by
the GNSO and Economic experts. I will also say that the Board’s resolution
gives the BC a “BIG WIN” where by companies that many of us represent are now
freely allowed to innovate within their own TLD and not take on the extra costs
or burden of having to register their own domains.  Behind to Community based
gTLD, I think the most successful segment will be within the .BRAND gTLD arena
or SRSU, SRMU models referenced in the VI WG.  This is a grand opportunity for
the BC to be a leader in showcasing and communicating these new ideas and
innovation on this global stage. If the BC wishes to develop a position about
the latest decision, I urge it to include proactive language of support and
that we welcome the opportunities to contribute ideas to compliance, best
practices, codes of conduct, etc…… 2011 will be exciting in deed!  Enjoy
Columbia for those that are going.   B  Berry CobbInfinity Portals
LLCberrycobb@infinityportals.comhttp://infinityportals.com720.839.5735 From:
owner-bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Philip
Sheppard