ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

RE: [bc-gnso] RE: .CAT WHOIS Proposed Changes - call for public comments

  • To: "'Elisa Cooper'" <Elisa.Cooper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Marilyn Cade'" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'bc - GNSO list'" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] RE: .CAT WHOIS Proposed Changes - call for public comments
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 15:02:37 -0500

Hello All,

As everyone knows I work with a number of registry operators and I have been
a big proponent of the RSEP. Unfortunately, I think ICANN has fallen
woefully short of the representations that it made to contacting parties in
negotiating this provisions several years ago as it has not provided the
predictability originally promised to the registries.  More disturbing is
that ICANN seeks to further retreat from these previous representations in
light of the new proposed registry template agreement.

That being said, instead of just repeating our position from four years ago,
perhaps we could undertake some fact based research. Specifically I would
try to identify what were the potential harms that lead to the BC's
recommendation to oppose the TelNic's RSEP request.  We should then see if
those harms came to fruition.  If the harms we feared became a reality, this
would reinforce our previously position and we could politely remind ICANN
that we were right.  However, if our fears were unfounded, repeating the
same position in light of unfounded fears makes us look less credible.

Just my two cents.

Best regards,

Michael