ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] NomCom

  • To: "bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] NomCom
  • From: "J. Scott Evans" <jscottevans@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 08:54:56 -0700 (PDT)

Dear  All:

I am sorry that I could not make the call today.  Y! Pride and a husband that
has to catch a plane have me committed elsewhere.

However, I do want to chime in on the NomCom issue.  First, I think I have been
crystal clear about the absolute need to have a large business representative
and a small business representative from the respective groups in order to
maintain the credibility of these two separate seats for the BC.  Second, as
for geographic diversity, I do not think that we need to manipulate the results
of any election to have geographic diversity.  I think it is incumbent upon the
elected NomCom reps to remember to reach out to non-North American BC members
to ensure that we are serving our entire membership in the appropriate manner.
 That point should go for any position for which we designate a BC member to
serve.

Lastly, I want to call out Marilyn Cade for behavior that I find totally
offensive.  Her repeated attempts to assassinate the character of Sarah Deutsch
for her previous service to the BC on the NomCom is totally unfounded and
offensive.  I had the honor of serving with Sarah on the NomCom as the IPC
representative.  I can, without hesitation, say that Sarah served the BC with
honor and fought hard to get good candidates selected to all the positions.
 What is truly sad is how hard Sarah fought and how Marilyn, who was then
Chair, has failed to acknowledge Sarah's service.  I know some may not
appreciate my being so direct on the list, but I think it is time we openly
discuss Marilyn's unprofessional behavior on this point.  I respect Marilyn and
appreciate all she has done and continues to do for business, but on this issue
she is simply wrong.

J. Scott

j. scott evans -  head of global brand, domains & copyright - Yahoo! Inc. -
408.349.1385 - jscottevans@xxxxxxxxx