ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

Re: [bc-gnso] NomCom

  • To: "J. Scott Evans" <jscottevans@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [bc-gnso] NomCom
  • From: stephvg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 18:23:10 +0200

I want to also apologize for not making today's call. I was also traveling and
although I had arranged my travel around this call, I ended up being delayed
and unable to join.

To J Scott's point about the NomCom, having given this some thought I agree
that we should aim for two reps that are truly representative of their business
areas. As was discussed before on this list, we as a group are fortunate to
have two reps so we should make sure we provide the NomCom with appropriate
candidates from those two business sectors (large and small).

I'm afraid I can't agree with the geo diversity argument however. To me, the
need for geo diversity within ICANN is to make sure that regional
representation is real, not theoretical. I would have no problem trusting a US
rep to represent my views for example, but would still rather there was an
actual slot for a European if possible. If no European is available to fill
that slot, and a US rep is, then fine. But I think it should work in that order.

Sorry if I misunderstood the point. There was obviously some heated discussion
during today's call so I certainly do not want to add to it.

Best,

Stéphane