ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] RE: FOR REVIEW: draft BC comment on study of Whois misuse

  • To: Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Berard <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jimson Olufuye <jolufuye@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "skawaguchi@xxxxxx" <skawaguchi@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] RE: FOR REVIEW: draft BC comment on study of Whois misuse
  • From: "Fares, David" <DFares@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 10:10:50 +0000

Thanks Steve, I think this works.

From: Steve DelBianco [mailto:sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:36 PM
To: Fares, David; John Berard; Jimson Olufuye; skawaguchi@xxxxxx
Cc: 'bc-GNSO@xxxxxxxxx GNSO list'

David - thanks for that suggestion.  Here's my reaction for you and the
drafters of this comment:

The whole point of this study was to test the validity of claims by privacy
advocates that misuse of public Whois was responsible for spam, harassment, and
other abuse of registrants.

First, we should say that this latest study does not document abuse arising
from public access, so there is no justification to limit public access.

Second, we can claim that any restrictions on whois access that might be
contemplated should nonetheless preserve access by any party needing to know
the identity of who controls a domain where there is evidence of actionable
harm.