ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

Objection to Proposed .BIZ, .INFO and .ORG Registry Agreement Changes

  • To: biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx, info-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx, org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Objection to Proposed .BIZ, .INFO and .ORG Registry Agreement Changes
  • From: Ian Barwick <tld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:55:38 +0200

To the ICANN Board,

As I understand, proposed changes to the agreements
with the operators of the .biz, .org and .info
registries will remove price controls on registry
service costs for these top-level domains.

Firstly, I object to the manner in which the process for
changing these agreements has been carried out, especially
regarding the comparative non-openness of the process.

Secondly, I object to the de-facto creation of unregulated
natural monopolies who will be in a position to exert
disproportionate influence on the owners of websites.

Thirdly, I object to the inherent risk to the whole
DNS system entailed by creating such monopolies; the
risk is particularly that the usage of global
top-level domains will become associated with significant
financial risks and many of the millions of domain
owners will look to alternative domain name systems,
which will destablize the Internet as a business
and communications platform (and also damage the
long-term interests of domain registries).

Yours sincerely

Ian Barwick
http://sql-info.de/index.html