ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[board-09georegionswg]

[board-09georegionswg] Geo Regions Review WG -- Latest Interim Report Draft (v3) and Survey Link

  • To: "board-09georegionswg@xxxxxxxxx" <board-09georegionswg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [board-09georegionswg] Geo Regions Review WG -- Latest Interim Report Draft (v3) and Survey Link
  • From: Robert Hoggarth <robert.hoggarth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 20:53:28 -0700

Dear Working Group Members:

As promised, attached please find the latest draft of the Interim Report
document (da3RHv3) and the link to the BigPulse survey instrument.  I hope that
some of you will have the opportunity to share some initial comments on the
draft document during the next Working Group meeting/call next Tuesday, 4 May
at 1200 UTC. Consistent with the prospective timetable I circulated this past
Tuesday, please provide any written comments on the draft at your earliest
convenience, but no later than by Monday,10 May.

Observations About Draft da3RHv3:

The latest draft version combines the two primary sections discussed and
drafted to date - Dave's historical review of the geographic regions as applied
by ICANN (largely unchanged since the previous version) and a second section
regarding the 25 "Matters" identified by you and the community.  This second
section is built on the format you all approved during our previous calls and
correspondence.  This is the first time the two sections have been combined and
I am particularly interested in your reaction to whether they work well
together.

You'll note that this draft struggles with some of the combinations/groupings
of the "matters."  I welcome your feedback, suggestions, and extensive red-line
edits of this approach.  There is a lot there - nearly thirteen pages of new
text.  Some of the sections repeat concepts or reference similar statement from
other sections.  In some cases it was a conscious decision to reflect the
natural overlap of some discussions and/or to recognize that some concepts
simply need to be reinforced in such a long document. While verbal feedback on
the meeting/call next week will be very helpful, there is no substitute for
red-line edits or email comments that all WG members can see.

I am hopeful that WG members representing the communities whose comments are
featured in the "Matters" section will add some thoughts and be particularly
attentive to the discussion of the concepts their SO or AC took the time to
present.  You are in the best positions to reflect the intent of your
individual communities.  In most areas I have done issue-spotting and in ALL
areas I am sure that more can be said.  One section - on Matter No. 16 - I was
at a loss for words and you'll see I have asked Fahd and David to explain the
ccNSO's point of view on that topic.

The draft document comes with my standard disclaimer (particularly for the
benefit of WG and community members who may only read emails and not listen to
WG meeting recordings) that any conclusory statements or positions reflected in
the draft are not my personal views or official staff positions, but simply an
effort to flush out your opinions and spur further thought and discussion.

Survey Link/Registration:

As promised, here is the survey link for the Big Pulse survey instrument -
https://www.bigpulse.com/p9044/register?l=en
(https://www.bigpulse.com/p9044/register?l=en).  Please invite members of your
community, starting Monday, 4 May, to register at the link and fill out the
survey. The survey link will be open for four (4) weeks through Tuesday 1 June
for people to go to the link and provide their responses.

Please let me know if anyone experiences difficulties with the survey.  All our
tests should have worked out all the bugs.  I am still awaiting translations of
the sample invitation letter (the English version was circulated this past
Tuesday - and is re-attached to this message) and I will forward those to you
as soon as I receive them.  I plan on sharing an update with all of you every
ten days to report on survey participation.  I am still trying to figure out
how we might blend survey results into the Interim Report.  Please share with
this email list any thoughts you have on that.

Thank you very much.  Talk to you next week!

Rob Hoggarth