ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[board-09georegionswg]

Re: [board-09georegionswg] Meeting Report - Geo Regions Review Call (24 May 2012)

  • To: Robert Hoggarth <robert.hoggarth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [board-09georegionswg] Meeting Report - Geo Regions Review Call (24 May 2012)
  • From: Carlton Samuels <carlton.samuels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 14:11:17 -0500

Dear Colleagues:
My apologies for missing this meeting. I had confirmed my attendance but
was unfortunately called away early morning for a long drive across country
to a business meeting.

I have listened to the audio recording of the session and can confirm the
summary feedback from the At-Large constituency given my my colleague,
Cheryl Langdon-Orr.

To reiterate the view from the Caribbean, my sense of it is the current
geographic arrangements tend to marginalize Caribbean jurisdictions.  The
facts of the difference between English-speaking Caribbean and Latin
America is incontestable; legal framework and codes, political economy,
divergent history of political arrangements and organisation, even our
experience with colonialism.  The history of association is not encouraging.

There is a general confusion of the role the report intended to make of the
RIR structure.  I doubt if that will be easy to overcome but we will have
to redouble efforts to make plain its utility in this context.

The self-selection for association idea is generally endorsed.  What is
still in play is an effective mechanism to manage it and the rules that
shall apply.

There is recognition of value for Special Interest Groupings (SIGs), as in,
for example, Small Island Developing States (SIDS) that would link
Caribbean Islands with South Pacific Island nations.  There are several
such initiatives to point to as examples.

Yes to a Prague set to.

Best,
- Carlton

Carlton A Samuels