ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-pab-new-gtld-strings-21mar14]

DOTZON comment on the Proposal of Mandatory Policy Advisory Boards for Regulated Industry Sector and Consumer-Trust-Sensitive New gTLD Strings

  • To: <comments-pab-new-gtld-strings-21mar14@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: DOTZON comment on the Proposal of Mandatory Policy Advisory Boards for Regulated Industry Sector and Consumer-Trust-Sensitive New gTLD Strings
  • From: "Katrin Ohlmer" <katrin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 20:42:23 +0200

DOTZON comment to Proposal for the Use of Mandatory Policy Advisory Boards

DOTZON is a Berlin-based company focused on consulting for new top-level
domains for cities and companies. We have been active in ICANN since 2005,
and are stewarding more than 20 new TLD applications through the ICANN
process. These comments on the “Proposal for the Use of Mandatory Policy
Advisory Boards for Regulated Industry Sector and Consumer Trust Sensitive
New gTLD Strings” are submitted on behalf of DOTZON clients.

First of all we welcome the GAC Advice in principle, and in particular the
request on Consumer Protection, Sensitive Strings, and Regulated Markets -
referred to as “Category 1 advice.” In this respect we also support the
principal concept to establish a Policy Advisory Board, if the TLD is
targeted at regulated industry sectors and other consumer-trust-sensitive
fields.

We agree and support the comments filed by fTLD Registry Services, LLC,
Donuts Inc. and the NTAG. We would like to note our three main concerns:

We oppose a general implementation of Policy Advisory Boards (PABs) at this
point in the New gTLD program. As stated in its letter of 20 February 2014,
the NGPC considered final action on GAC advice and did not consider that the
concept of a PAB should be implemented and therefore rejected it.

Furthermore with the PAB, a member of the PAB would be able to intervene
with the operation of the TLD without being responsible or liable which
might cause legal or liability issues.

Also, we would like to reiterate that any fundamental changes to the
Applicant Guidebook must be subject to the multi-stakeholder model to change
policies. We urge ICANN to close further public comment and refer the matter
to the GNSO.

Thank you for the opportunity to comment during the reply period.

Kind regards,

Katrin Ohlmer, CEO, DOTZON GmbH on behalf of:

.gmbh, TLDDOT GmbH
.versicherung, dot-versicherung registry GmbH

DOTZON GmbH - incubating name spaces
Akazienstrasse 2
10823 Berlin
Deutschland - Germany
Tel: +49 30 49802722
Fax: +49 30 49802727
Mobile: +49 173 2019240
katrin@xxxxxxxxxx
www.dotzon.com

DOTZON GmbH
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg, HRB 118598
Geschäftsführer: Katrin Ohlmer
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Akazienstrasse 2, 10823 Berlin