ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Proposed Whois changes

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Proposed Whois changes
  • From: Dave Watkins <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 09:35:41 +0000

Dear ICANN -

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document)

I run my business from my home, like many others, and exposing all whois data
means that all personal info will be publicly available for all to see online.
Plus it will open us up to an immense amount of telephone, email and postal
spam. As it stands anyone can already contact us through the domain registrar
so exposing the whois data won't help anything. Plus any criminals are no doubt
using fake details anyway so this just penalises the legitimate users amongst
us and has no effect on the people it's meant to stop. It also makes it much
easier for scammers to scam people as due to the need to verify your domain
when it's transferred/expired etc, scammers can look at the whois data and send
fake verification messages to those that have just expired/are about to expire.

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one's personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

Private information should be kept private.

As the body responsible for domains i truly hope you make your decision based
on what is best for the free internet and privacy as a whole and not on the
interests of a few large commercial entities.

Thank you.

Dave Watkins
+44 (0) 208 133 6090
+44 (0) 7956 331 293
dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Liberating IT
www.liberatingit.com<http://www.liberatingit.com/>
Follow us on Twitter @liberatingit<http://twitter.com/liberatingit>
Web Design / SEO / Online Marketing / Custom IT