ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Concerns regardiing proposal to prevent proxy registration services

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Concerns regardiing proposal to prevent proxy registration services
  • From: ray scott <ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 05:11:35 +1000

Hi,

I am wishing to submit my concerns about the proposal to prevent the use of
private proxy services for domain names.

I am the owner of a number of small websites, and currently use proxy
registration services. As I am a sole trader and do not have a business
office, I run my business out of my own home. Therefore all my details on
my website registrations are my personal details - home address, phone
number etc.

I have publicly promoted my websites to many thousands of people, and by
removing my private proxy service all these people will now have access to
my phone number, home address and email address This not only includes all
my friends by also includes former work colleagues, friends of friends,
ex-relationships, and many other people.

By revealing this information publicly, people who believe I have valuables
in my house can now rob me. Ex-partners can harrass me. Friends of friends
who like me can stalk me.

If this proposal is accepted it would put my personal safety at risk, as
well as my home and home contents.

In addition to this, the information can be used to spam me with
emails/phonecalls/postal-mail targetting "SEO" and the like, or could be
used in conjunction with other personal information for the purposes of
identity theft.

I strongly request that this proposal be rejected. The existing rules are
sufficient for the identity of owners to be obtained if required, without
the public at large having access to the information.

Regards,
Ray Scott