ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Online Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Online Privacy
  • From: John Olstrom <johnolstrom@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 09:05:51 -0400

I have only just become aware of the idea that privacy systems used to protect your identity may be at risk of being removed and this leaves me tremendous stress. I am a simple person who not only wants privacy for myself but also for everybody else. You see, I have been a victim of identity theft which has created incredible challenges for me in my everyday life. It's impossible to say exactly how this happened to me because I am quite careful to limit the amount of information I provide in any given situation but you can't help certain activities that require information through online services these days and it is one of priority reasons why I register domain names through privacy. There are preditors on the internet. If I simply register a domain name using my name, with a few hours, I am targeted with emails from people and services innundating me with requests to try them out. I have no connection to these people. I don't participate in social media and the only place they can access this information is through WhoIs. That type of activity, while annoying, I can redirect it to spam and delete it but it leaves me feeling very uneasy regarding the type of activity someone with different motivations may do with my information who remains undetected. The ease in which people sophisticated capabilities can access information on line, undetected is alarming and to remove a layer of protection which prevents such access leaves me feeling violated. I urge the powers that be to strongly consider these types of consequences for people who have already been victimized and for those who would now be exposed to such possibilities to maintain the privacy systems that are in place and consider making them stronger to prevent such activity against innocent people.