ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-tld-acceptance-initiative-18jun14]

Comments on UA of TLDs Roadmap

  • To: "comments-tld-acceptance-initiative-18jun14@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-tld-acceptance-initiative-18jun14@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comments on UA of TLDs Roadmap
  • From: Sunny Liu <sunny.liu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 14:25:35 +0800

We are Netmission.Asia, one of the At-Large Structure in ALAC. We would like to
submit our comments on the titled topic for your kind consideration.
NetMission.Asia statement on the topic “Universal Acceptance of TLDs Draft
Roadmap” As an At-Large Structure, Netmission.Asia would like to comment on the
topic Universal Acceptance of TLDs Draft Roadmap. We agreed that ICANN’s
primary goal is to create a sense of urgency, that is, to perform a
coordinating role by motivating stakeholders to take proper independent
actions. With regards to the stakeholders to be engaged, we expect a heavier
role on governments and businesses in the Roadmap. Aside from the coordinating
work, ICANN can brainstorm ways to incentivize related parties who are
accountable to make real the changes in the system or software. Software
developers of browsers and email service providers are examples of the said
parties. Lastly, we propose that the timelines for achieving the goals should
be presented more in detail in the Roadmap. ICANN should recognize the fact
that the “sense of urgency” mainly comes from the user side and advocates are
mainly promoting IDN from users’ perspectives, while, governments and
industries, have relatively lower incentive in progressing with the universal
Acceptance of IDNs. However, governmental participation holds a prominent
position in the multi-stakeholders model in terms of promoting and implementing
internet policies and stakeholders engagement at a local level with the use of
legislations within its own territory. In the existing ICANN structure, GAC can
play a more active role in introducing the acceptance issues to its members and
brainstorm possible rectification steps on an inter-governmental level. If
needs be, working groups with representatives from ICANN, different governments
and industry professionals coming from different geographical location who are
responsible for the regional IDNs development can be set up in a bid to foster
discussion between government bodies. Secondly, businesses and software
developers claim to have excessive cost incurred for the technological and
system upgrades to accommodate new TLDs. For example, intranet or internet
email system programmers need to initiate more frequent updates as more new
TLDs come into our lives. Registries and registrars, which are bound by ICANN’s
contracts, can take the first step in fixing the unconformity within their
systems, as suggested by the JIG report. For parties those are more distant
from ICANN, incentive programmes can be set up to facilitate tangible
development of existing systems for the software developers. We believe one of
the important incentives is the number of IDN users affected by this acceptance
issues, so the use the public pressure to urge related parties to take actions
maybe a way out. Lastly, ICANN should further define its Roadmap and establish
clearer guidelines on the timeframe of universal acceptance of TLD development.
Since we envision that end-users would like to witness incremental changes in a
near future, ICANN can prioritize its initiatives and divide the work into a
few stages. In this sense, it helps to track the progress and completion of
each phase and it will help alleviate resource constraints that may arise as
different activities overlap. Best Regards,Sunny Liu(on behalf of
Netmission.Asia)