ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cyber-safety-petition]

Opposition to New CyberSafety Constituency Petition and Charter

  • To: cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Opposition to New CyberSafety Constituency Petition and Charter
  • From: Plume Lover <plumelover@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:23:07 -0600

I strongly oppose this proposed measure.

When are people going to take accountability for their own actions and not rely on an entity whether it is ICANN, their government, or their flying spaghetti monster to protect them from the 'evils' of the world. While safety of children is important, any parent who lets their kids run free on the internet or in their own city willy-nilly shouldn't have children in the first place. It is the responsibility of the parent to regulate what their kids view on the internet. If they don't take that responsibility then they are either lazy or stupid. It's that simple. I have kids that use the internet. I know damn well what they are looking at when they are online. It's MY responsibility to censor anything that I deem inappropriate for them to be viewing. You can't blame being technologically adept at preventing internet abuse. There are several software packages that can assist, but not replace a diligent parent, where there are those parents that aren't as technically inclined as others.

Yes there are dangers on the internet. There are dangers driving down the street. There are dangers...well you get the point. If people don't want to look at porn then they shouldn't type it up in their web browser of choice. If something like this were to pass and this group can further their agenda where does it stop? What will they want to censor next, something that speaks out against something they believe? This would not only set a dangerous precedent but what group would be next in line to try to further their agenda? What if it goes against the group that just got their agenda passed?

ICANN isn't responsible for regulating the content on internet, it boils down, in this case to the parents and personal accountability.

Plume