ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cyber-safety-petition]

No

  • To: <cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: No
  • From: "Mike Street" <mike.street@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 17:21:42 -0000

Hi,

Thanks for this opportunity to comment.

I would ask ICAAN to turn down this request. It is an attempt by a small,
vociferous group to impose their proclaimed standards of morality on the
Internet and its users as a whole. The group has fundamentally censorious
views, and as has been said many times, the web just routes around
censorship.

The Internet is an adult space and any children using it should be carefully
supervised by their parents. If these people cannot be bothered, or are
unable to monitor their children's' access, that is their fault and not
mine. If we allow these pressure groups to censor the Internet, it will
become like having on Disney programmes on all TV channels. Not that there
isn't much to admire in Disney programming, but sometimes I want to watch
something else. They would deny me that right.

Thank you for your time.

Mike Street