ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cyber-safety-petition]

OPPOSED. This is an attempt to hide the stench of internet censorship behind a respectable sounding front.

  • To: cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: OPPOSED. This is an attempt to hide the stench of internet censorship behind a respectable sounding front.
  • From: Andrew Wiesmann <andrew.wiesmann@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 09:18:47 -0400

This is a front for the agenda of CP80.org, which seeks to impose their
censorship agenda by forcing radical changes on the architecture of the
internet.  This petition speaks of cultural and religious groups, as if they
mean ALL cultural and religious groups, but what they mean is a
cultural/religious group consisting only of the mormon church, acting out in
embarrassment at the recent revelation that the state with the most mormons
is also the state with the highest consumption of porn.  This is purely and
simply an attempt to gain influence in order to censor and restrict.  I
believe strongly in an internet free of censorship.  When I want tolerance
for what I choose to use the net for, that means that I have to tolerate
what others use it for, even if I don't like or choose that use.  If that
means that my freedom to research also means that there's naked pictures, so
be it.  It's a bargain at any price.

I am also not ignorant enough to buy the fundamental assertion that
protecting minors from nudity should happen by eliminating nudity.  Net
nanny and many programs like it exist so that concerned parents can monitor
and restrict what their children see and do online.  This is a local and
personal responsibility, not one that should be distributed to the entire
internet.  The entire world is not obligated to change to protect the few,
when they are too ignorant and apathetic to protect themselves.

Andrew Wiesmann