ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cyber-safety-petition]

Cyber Safety Petition

  • To: cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Cyber Safety Petition
  • From: Doug <souzado.06@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:01:44 -0600

Greetings,

I would like to respond to some of the issues brought up in Michael Tria’s
comment on the CSC (
http://forum.icann.org/lists/cyber-safety-petition/msg00242.html). Even
though there are criminal and civil laws that aim to protect children from
abuse and exploitation, those laws don’t do any good if technological
aspects of the Internet prevent them from being enforced. For instance, a
careful analysis is needed of the WHOIS database that balances privacy and
law enforcement’s and victims’ interest in finding people who are spreading
child pornography on the Internet.  Fast Flux Hosting is another
technological issue that directly affects the abuse on the Internet and is
under discussion at ICANN. ICANN deals directly with these issues and the
CSC should be able to weigh in when important decisions are being made.

The CSC is not trying to censor, block, or zone adult content on the
Internet.  In any event, it is offensive to compare CSC members to countries
that are using porn censorship as an excuse for suppressing political
speech.

Thanks for the opportunity to share my feelings and thought on this subject

Doug