ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[domain-tasting-2008]

Domain Tasting

  • To: <domain-tasting-2008@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Domain Tasting
  • From: "Ian Patterson" <ian@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 14:21:12 -0800

Hello,

I work for a registrar.  While I enjoy the ability to delete a domain, if
the registrant changes their mind, or it was registered using fraudulent
credit card info, I think what NetworkSolutions is doing is terrible.

It's an abuse, I feel.  And I think I'd feel this way even if my own company
were to try it and profit from it.

It's one thing to pick a name, register it, see if it generates traffic, and
delete it again.  It's a little shady, perhaps.

But it's another to buy, sell, or steal search info and take other people's
ideas, then try to lock up the domain so they have to pay a ransom to get
it.

I'd like if domain tasting could be prohibited while still allowing
legitimate use of the domain.delete function.

Thanks,

Ian