ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[domain-tasting-motion]

Domain Tasting Comments

  • To: domain-tasting-motion@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Domain Tasting Comments
  • From: John Erickson <erickson.john48@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:26:59 -0700 (PDT)

 As an independent internet user, and businessman, I find the actions
that are ruling the market for domain sales counter-intuitive. According
to the law of supply and demand, if we take away the demand for domain
 names by eliminating the competition for them, the value of individual
domain names will go down. This will impact the amount of domains that
will be sold overall. The Commercial and Business Constituency has
 reported a net increase in the purchases of domains due to tasting.
This additional revenue has allowed Verisign to spend vast amounts of
money on infrastructure to support a safe DNS system that will not
fail.  If we take away some of the revenue that has helped the DNS
 system bolster, not only are we removing competitive purchasing of
domains, a good thing, we are also robbing the very infrastructure
needed to keep the internet up and running.

I also believe that the IP contingency is missing the mark here by
 trying to change the domain policy. If they are worried about Trademark
infringements, rather than prohibiting the purchasing of domains, go
after the people who are delivering the ads that are actually
infringing. If you remove the monetization of these domains, there is no
 need to worry about the tasting in them. The current approach is similar
to prohibiting the sale of motor vehicles in an effort to reduce highway
deaths. This proposed plan simply does not go after the right people for
 the right things.

John Erickson
Wichita, KS, USA