ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[domain-tasting-motion]

Re: [ga] domain tastinmg comments

  • To: <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "GA" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] domain tastinmg comments
  • From: <chris@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 04:46:18 -0400

1. Correction of typographical errors made by registrant. Double Opt-In or a
verification process built into the website can take care of this completely
and provides less hassle for everyone than canceling and re-registering a
domain name. The low cost of domain names also means that registering the wrong
name and having to go back and get another one is really not going to make or
break most people.

2. Cart "hold" to provide access to domain names Explain this one for me. This
is a total non-issue and not necessary at all.

3. Fraud remedies The 5-day Grace period does not address this issue.
Registrars and Registries can deal with credit card fraud like everyone else on
the web.

4. Monitoring, testing and development of systems. Give me a break. No real
systems are tested or developed using the 5 day grace period. You mean to tell
me there are companies who are going to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars
to do testing and development but do not want to pay the $10 for the domain
name during the process? Please give me some examples of companies doing this
so I can contact them about becoming their business consulatant because I can
definitely do a better job than whoever they have now. The 5-day grace period
does allow for tasters and kiters to test the domain names and develop a
garbage webpage to do so. So #4 is pretty much for domain taster testing and
development. I guess that is why #4 is here.

5. Addressing Registrant 'Buyer's Remorse' Double Opt-in or secondary
verification handles this just fine. Or, the registrar is welcome to create
their own policy of giving refunds to there consumers if they drop the name
back into the pool. But I guess the registrars don't want to create their own
buyer's remorse policy like other companies have to. A registrar or registry
could create a policy that gives the user another domain name to replace the
one they decided they did not want after all. Plus what is the percentage of
domains dropped for this reason VS the percentage of domains dropped because of
tasting and kiting? Nominal, therefore a pretty moot point.

Chris McElroy, NameCritic, Inc.
http://www.mostwantednewspaper.com