ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[draft-eoi-model]

EoI impact on small, non-for-profit and community-based TLD projects

  • To: draft-eoi-model@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: EoI impact on small, non-for-profit and community-based TLD projects
  • From: Matthieu Crédou <m.credou@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:45:18 +0100

First of all, I would like to express my support to the concept of
Expression of Interest. Every step forward the introduction of new gTLD,
every attempt to enhance the application process should be praised... At
least by those supporting the idea of new gTLD.

>From the point of view of small, non-for-profit, community-based gTLD
projects, which I am familiar with, EoI sets up a first deadline in
2010. By doing so, it will enable such projects to secure the support of
their financial partners (local public authorities in most cases) and
then engage proper promotional / fundraising campaigns. In that respect,
it is a positive proposition.

However, may I remind you that these small, non-for-profit and
community-based TLD projects are  still at risk, despite the EoI.
This
first deadline does not give any guarantee for the application time
line, except for an indicative 18-month period between EoI closing date
and the beginning of the next application round. This implies that
existing projects will have to run their operations (local promotion,
ICANN follow-up, etc...)  for two more years before being able to sell
their first domain name.

I am only considering here the small, non-for-profit and community-based
TLD projects which could afford the US$55,000 deposit fee. For those who
just cannot, should they simply pass their turn and wait for the
hypothetical next round?

Without special consideration for this type of new gTLD applicant, the
current ICANN application process will de facto exclude many initiatives
which would have broaden the cultural and linguistic diversity on the
Internet.

Thank you for the opportunity to comment on the EOI process.

Matthieu Crédou
e-MC² Consulting
m.credou@xxxxxxxxx