ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[draft-recommendations-idn-cctld-selection]

EURid Comments on Draft Recommendations Overall Policy for the Selection of IDN ccTLD Strings

  • To: "draft-recommendations-idn-cctld-selection@xxxxxxxxx" <draft-recommendations-idn-cctld-selection@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: EURid Comments on Draft Recommendations Overall Policy for the Selection of IDN ccTLD Strings
  • From: Chhun Chy <chhun.chy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 15:18:58 -0700

EURid Comments on Draft Recommendations Overall Policy for the Selection of IDN
ccTLD Strings

Submitted by ICANN staff on behalf of EURid

EURid, the registry manager for the .eu top level domain, would like to thank
you for the opportunity to comment on the Draft Recommendations Overall Policy
for the Selection of IDN ccTLD Strings and for having been invited to
participate in the discussion of the working group.

We respectfully submit the following input to your attention. Our feedback is
based on our experience with the Fast Track procedures and the expertise we
have gained in the IDN environment.

Firstly, we would like to support two of the overarching principles at the
basis of this exercise: more precisely, the principles of preserving the
security, stability and interoperability of DNS and of ensuring that the
request for delegation of an IDN ccTLD should be an ongoing process.

Concerning the confusingly similarity of IDN ccTLD Strings, we appreciate that
the recommendations address the challenged element of the possible similarity
with gTLD applications and therefore, we fully support that any confusing
similarity should be investigated against "any combination of ISO 646 Basic
Version characters and existing TLDs and reserved names". This will facilitate
the possibility for worldwide communities to express themselves in their own
language at the top level without being prevented to do so by TLD applications
that are not yet approved by the ICANN Board.

As for the String Validation Stage, we welcome the introduction of both the
Similarity Review Panel and the Extended Similarity Review Panel. We are also
happy to see that it is recommended that names of the panellists are made
public in the spirit of ensuring transparency to a process that so far
distinguished itself for several obscure aspects. We suggest that the two
aforementioned panels are made of experts with sound scientific and academic
records as for language studies and character perception.

Last but not least, we exhort ICANN staff involved in the validation process to
set precise timeframes for the various validation steps to be performed and
completed so that any requester can adequately report back to the language
community(ies) that is behind any application.

We thank you once more for the opportunity to comment and participate in the
process.

Giovanni Seppia
External Relations Manager

EURid
Woluwelaan 150
1831 Diegem - Belgium
TEL: +32 (0) 2 401 2750
MOB:+39 335 8141733
giovanni.seppia@xxxxxxxx
http://www.eurid.eu

The European Registry of Internet Domain Names