ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[draft-recommendations-idn-cctld-selection]

Comments by Association UNINET

  • To: draft-recommendations-idn-cctld-selection@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments by Association UNINET
  • From: Iliya Bazlyankov <iliya.bazlyankov@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 22:08:04 +0300

On behalf of Association UNINET, I would like to thank you for this public comment period, which gives us the opportunity to participate in the process. I would also like to congratulate the IDN PDP Working Group 1 team for the good work done with the Draft Recommendations Overall Policy for the Selection of IDN ccTLD Strings. Our experience is based on our IDN related work since 2007, when we made the original proposal for a creation of an IDN ccTLD for Bulgaria, and we are active since then.

We would like to express our full support for the draft document, and especially about the following parts:

I. Section 3, part I. (Confusing similarity of IDN ccTLD Strings)
It is really important that this part included the statement that the "method and criteria to asses confusing similarity should be developed as part of the implementation plan. For reasons of transparency and accountability they should be made public prior to implementation of the overall policy", because one of the major flaws of the IDN ccTLD fast-track process is the complete lack of transparency. We are trying to obtain its methodology for years, and all we receive is that its confidential.

It is also important to note that this section of the document includes references about how the confusing similarity assessment should be conducted (on page 10).

II. Page 17, section b. Independent Reviews
We fully and unconditionally support the inclusion of an "Extended Process Similarity Review Panel", which is something we`ve been suggesting for years to be included in the fast-track policy.

III. Page 18, section Process for confusingly similarity validation
We fully support the procedures, described in part 3. and 4c. of the same section. The text, describing the work of the Extended Process Similarity Review Panel is an important step towards the transparency in the process.

IV. Page 21, section Transitional arrangement Fast Track IDN ccTLD, part 2.
This text will allow the currently rejected (due to string similarity) IDN ccTLDs to be reviewed once again, which will hopefully resolve the problems that some countries experienced with the fast-track process in the recent years.

Finally, we would like also to adhere to the comments made by EURid.

---
Kind regards,
Iliya Bazlyankov

Chairman of Association UNINET