ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

Re: [dssa] Information classification proposal

  • To: Rick Wesson <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Carlos M. Martinez" <carlos@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [dssa] Information classification proposal
  • From: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 13:01:14 -0700

Dear Rick, Carlos, and Bill,

You may wish to refer to Annex B of the DSSA-WG Charter which includes
information about the handling of proprietary information.  See:
https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/7930080/DSSA-WG+Final+Draft+Charter+v1.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1296034298000.
 Annex B is on page 9.

Thanks,

Julie

Julie Hedlund
ICANN Staff

On 5/24/11 3:53 PM, "Rick Wesson" <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

First, I prefer that we only leverage publicly available information and be as
open and transparent as possable. While this is my preference I understand some
of you MAY wish to share sensitive information. I propose that the Traffic
Light Protocol [1] may be optimal and that those desireing to share sensitive
information. I've participated in groups that this worked out well, and is
fairly intuitive.

[FROM WIKIPEDIA...]

There are four colors (or traffic lights):

RED - personal for named recipients only
   In the context of a meeting, for example, RED information is limited to
those present at the meeting. In most circumstances, RED information will be
  passed verbally or in person.

AMBER - limited distribution
The recipient may share AMBER information with others within their
organization, but only on a ‘need-to-know’ basis. The originator may be
expected to specify the intended limits of that sharing.

GREEN - community wide
Information in this category can be circulated widely within a particular
community. However, the information may not be published or posted publicly on
the Internet, nor released outside of the community.

 WHITE  - unlimited
Subject to standard copyright rules, WHITE information may be distributed
freely, without restriction.

-rick