ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

Re: [dssa] Information classification proposal

  • To: "Carlos M. Martinez" <carlos@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [dssa] Information classification proposal
  • From: Rick Wesson <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 12:53:51 -0700

First, I prefer that we only leverage publicly available information and be
as open and transparent as possable. While this is my preference I
understand some of you MAY wish to share sensitive information. I propose
that the Traffic Light Protocol [1] may be optimal and that those desireing
to share sensitive information. I've participated in groups that this worked
out well, and is fairly intuitive.

[FROM WIKIPEDIA...]

There are four colors (or traffic lights):

RED - personal for named recipients only
   In the context of a meeting, for example, RED information is limited to
those present at the meeting. In most circumstances, RED information will be

  passed verbally or in person.

AMBER - limited distribution
The recipient may share AMBER information with others within their
organization, but only on a ‘need-to-know’ basis. The originator may be
expected to specify the intended limits of that sharing.

GREEN - community wide
Information in this category can be circulated widely within a particular
community. However, the information may not be published or posted publicly
on the Internet, nor released outside of the community.

 WHITE  - unlimited
Subject to standard copyright rules, WHITE information may be distributed
freely, without restriction.

-rick