ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

[dssa] DNS attack trees

  • To: <dssa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [dssa] DNS attack trees
  • From: <salgeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 16:53:11 -0500

Hello Mikey:

Sorry I was not able to make yesterday's call.

I submit the attached in case it is of any help to the team's efforts.  It's
a more complete version of the DNS attack tree that was included in the
Baseline IT Sector Risk Assessment, a previous effort I was part of.  Sorry
for not sharing this earlier, but I was only recently reminded that what was
included in the Risk Assessment was actually a summary of the attack tree
that was built and tracked down the attached full tree as quickly as I
could.

Please note that the Risk Assessment was developed in 2008 and predates
deployment of DNSSEC at the root.  In case I have not shared the link
before, the Baseline IT Sector Risk Assessment can be viewed at
www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/nipp_it_baseline_risk_assessment.pdf.  Page 30
is where the DNS chapter/section starts.

Regards,

Scott C. Algeier

Executive Director, IT-ISAC

+1 703-385-4969