ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[eoi-new-gtlds]

EOI

  • To: eoi-new-gtlds@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: EOI
  • From: cuoliver@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 20:00:35 -0500

I am writing to express my support for the EOI in new gTLDs and would like to respond to certain questions posed on the ICANN website here: http://icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-11nov09-en.htm.

“How do we ensure that participation in the EOI accurately represents the level of interest?”

I assume that ICANN means the level of interest from potential TLD applicants in new TLDs. Is this even a question at this point, given the number of announcements made by parties seeking to apply for new TLDs?

“Should only those who participate in the EOI be eligible to participate in the first round when the program officially launches?”

Yes. Otherwise, the process has little meaning.

“Should a deposit be required for participation in the EOI?”

Again, yes. The EOI should be seen as a precursor to an actual application, to be submitted as soon as ICANN resolves all outstanding issues related to new TLDs.

“If there is a fee, under what circumstances should there be refund?”

If there are multiple applicants for a TLD, a partial, but not full, refund should be granted if the applicant withdraws prior to the formal application period. A 50% refund seems reasonable.

“What subset of applicant questions found in the Applicant Guidebook at HYPERLINK "http://icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/draft-evaluation-criteria-clean-04o ct09-en.pdf" http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/draft-evaluation-criteria-clean-04oct09-en.pdf should be answered?”

Little more than the applicant name and proposed TLD should be required.

“Including applied-for strings?”

Yes.

“Should information be made public?”

Yes.

“Must the responder commit to go live within a certain time of delegation?”

Yes.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,
Christian Oliver