ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[eoi-new-gtlds]

EOI

  • To: eoi-new-gtlds@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: EOI
  • From: Stephen Ruskowski <stephenruskowski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:02:59 -0800 (PST)

I’d like to express my support for the concept of formal Expressions of Interest
(EOIs) for new gTLDs. My interest is twofold. First-- as a business
owner who has personally had difficulty finding relevant domains at a
reasonable cost for ventures in which I’ve been involved, I’ve followed
the proposed new TLD round with interest and look forward to the day
when I can register domains that have endings that are more relevant to
my needs. I'm in favor of any process that might judiciously hasten
that day. I would hope that an EOI requirement could at least help to
establish a more firm timeline for the new round (by providing a more
accurate predictive of interest and number of applications) and in
reducing the volume of frivolous applications, eventually expedite the
introduction of new TLD's.

Second,
as a potential applicant, I welcome the transparency and approve of any
screen that helps ensure all applicants are serious, viable, and
well-intentioned. Restricting the round to those who have participated
in the formal EOI (with attendant fees, toward the full application
fee) would establish a minimum level of commitment and go a long way
toward ensuring the integrity, order, and manageability of the
application process. Also, making these EOIs public would promote early
conflict resolution
and perhaps help some groups and individuals avoid more serious risk as
they become aware of better-positioned, more experienced competition.

Sincerely,
Stephen Ruskowski