ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[eoi-new-gtlds]

EOI

  • To: eoi-new-gtlds@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: EOI
  • From: Clayton Jones <claytonmj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 08:42:02 -0500

I would like to express my support for the EOI in new gTLDs.  In answer to a
subset of your questions:

1)    Yes.  Only those who participate in the EOI should be eligible to
participate in the first round when the program officially launches.

2)    Yes, a deposit should be required for participation in the EOI.  I’d like
to see the deposit be reasonably substantial to ensure that bidders are
legitimate and, if selected, would have an ability to promptly execute on an
award.

3)    If there is a fee, under what circumstances should there be refund?  I
would recommend that a fee is non-refundable if there in only one bidder and
they are awarded the gTLD.  If multiple bidders are interested in a gTLD, they
should have an opportunity to withdraw prior to the formal application process
and receive a partial refund.  If a bidder is disqualified during the EOI
process for any reason, ICANN should refund the bid deposit less a $1,000-5,000
fee.

4)    Should information be made public? Yes.  A fully transparent process is
in the best interest of ICANN and the public.

Very truly yours,

Clayton M. Jones