ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[eoi-new-gtlds]

EOI Feedback

  • To: eoi-new-gtlds@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: EOI Feedback
  • From: David Gleberman <igleberman@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:12:22 -0500

While the ICANN gTLD process has been slow to take form, I am pleased to see
that ICANN is close to proceeding with an Expression of Interest bidding
approach. As ICANN notes, “expansion of the generic top-level domain (gTLD)
space will allow for a greater degree of innovation and choice.” The EOI
process makes great sense to me.  I would encourage you to collect substantive
deposits from prospective bidders.  The deposit could be either a fixed amount
($25,000-$50,000) or a percentage (10-20%) of the bid amount.  I’d suggest that
the bid amount should be non-refundable if a bidder is ultimately awarded a
gTLD.  Bidders selected for a “best and final” round should have their deposits
held.  Ultimately, the bid amount less, say, $1,000 “application fee” should be
returned to bidders not selected by ICANN.

David H. Gleberman