ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[eudrp]

Re: eUDRP proposal

  • To: eudrp@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: eUDRP proposal
  • From: "Frank Michlick (DomainCocoon)" <frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:47:06 -0400

Dear ICANN staff, dear WIPO staff,

Thank you for bringing the eUDRP proposal to our attention. While our company, a consultant to registrants, registries and registrars, usually likes avoiding wasting paper, we do oppose the eUDRP as proposed.

As George Kirikos already writes, there need to be safeguards in place in order to protect registrants from default decisions based on non-response, since email may potentially be identified as spam/UCE and may never reach the recipient, thus preventing him from filing a response. If no response is received after notification via email, the registrant should be informed by other means, such as by fax or a letter. Considering the complainant is given as much time as they like to prepare their complaint, a response time of 20 days is inadequate.

As stated before, if we are updating the UDRP, we must not forget to address the recent rise of "reverse hijacking" cases and the lack of penalty for those entities that try to gain access to generic domain names by means of filing UDRPs. In addition, provisions should be added to prevent a complainant from repeatedly filing claims for the same domain name.

We also agree with George Kirikos when it comes to introducing a standardized format for electronic UDRP filings, allowing the development of services for monitoring complaints.

Best regards,
Frank Michlick on behalf of
DomainCocoon Inc.