ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] WG B Proposal (although odd)

  • To: gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] WG B Proposal (although odd)
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 00:50:11 -0700

patrick and all,

  From what I believe you are suggesting here patrick, would
again place registrars/registries in control of what and whom
has access to any registrants data.  Am I reading your suggestion
correctly?  If so, than this would seem to erase privacy protections
for domain registrants/owners, and therefore negate OPOC.  Exposing
billing address selectable by people who may want it but do not have
a bonified need of same, is dangerous to the registrant in particular
and may be overly tempting to miscreant customers of that registrant,
or other miscreants with an ax to grind, ect., ect...

patrick cain wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After listening to numerous group debate the "how do people get access" I
> thought about attacking the problem from the other direction. Since our goal
> is to provide privacy protections for domain registrants/owners via OPOC, I
> keep returning to the idea of allowing registrants to add some 'privacy
> protections' during the registrations process -- and then not change the
> rest of the Whois world. The 'privacy protection' can be enabled from the
> billing address and also be selectable by people who may or may not want it.
> But the onus is now on the domain registrant to decide instead of the
> registrar/registry -- which I don't think is really workable with 800 of
> them.
>
> Trying to fit this into the "how do people access Whois data?" may require
> some squinting, but it does work with the OPOC proposal and shouldn't
> require much retooling of the infrastructure. I will also readily agree that
> the proposal is not fully thought out, but I'm starting to like it more as
> I'm engaged in more conference calls.
>
> Milton, please advise if there is a better place to bring this up because
> this is too off base from our subgroup charter.
>
> Pat Cain

>                                          Name: task B - template - pc prop.doc
>    task B - template - pc prop.doc       Type: Microsoft Word Document
> (application/msword)
>                                      Encoding: base64

Regards,
--
Jeffrey A. Williams
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827