ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] WG B Proposal (although odd)

  • To: gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] WG B Proposal (although odd)
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 01:16:38 -0700

Dan and all,

  The opt-in/opt-out approach is not a new one for Whois.  I
proposed it several years ago now on I believe was the first
Whois task force WG.  I believe it was a good approach,
but does have operational, implentational, and jurisdictional
challenges that need to be fully flushed out and recognized.

  First let be very briefly concentrate on the jurisdictional
challenges.

  For the jurisdictional challenges, we have more and more
countries whom are becoming less and less trusting and some
which have been already mentioned on this forum whom have
legal constraints which would either interfere or preclude an
opt-in/opt-out approach for registrants, registrars, and registries
in those countries.  Yet I still believe these constraints can be
overcome, but not easily.

  In my next two posts I shall delve into a bit, the operational,
and the implantation challenges..

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827