ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] elaboration on the Blob topology

  • To: gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] elaboration on the Blob topology
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 23:50:34 -0700

Anthony and all sgb members,

  I again trimed the CC's for this response in accordance with
Maria Ferrls instructions regarding this sub group.  Marbe
that nstruction only applies to me?

  The rest of my respons and/or remarks/thoughts are interspersed
below Anthony's.

Anthony Harris wrote:

> This is very interesting. There are however a couple of
> points the WG may need to ponder:
>
> 1) The question of which parties have the need to access
> WHOIS data has been, in my opinion, quite well
> summarized in the GAC comments on WHOIS which
> emerged during the ICANN Lisbon meeting. See:
> http://gac.icann.org/web/communiques/gac27com.pdf

  I believe Milton, myself, and few others have made comment
as to the relevance to this WG regarding the GAC comments on
WHOIS which you so kindly refrenced.  It seems to be the
majority opinion of the GAC comments on WHOIS for this
WG and sgb are not necessarly a guide line of any significance.

> 2) I hesitate to imagine who would supervise access of
> law enforcement agencies in countries with 'a history of
> miscreant behaviour'...Who would decide on this, the United
> Nations?

  My offering of a proposal which Maria neglected to include
for some reason, outlined how this can or could be effected.
Given the UN's recent and well publisized history, it would at
least seem less than appropriate for the UN to take on such
as sensitive task.

> 3) The core of this long-running discussion on WHOIS
> is the registrant privacy concern. The instruments for
> protecting privacy are determined by national laws,
> and these in some instances may occur even in those
> countries with 'a history of miscreant behaviour'. IOW
> countries make up their own minds about privacy
> protection, and they also run their own law enforcement
> agencies as they feel appropriate.

Indeed very true.  However as one of the proposals thus far
offered would allow all INTERPOL law enforcment members
nearly unrestricted access.  As SOME of the INTERPOL
have of late been deamed involved in miscreant behavior
and their governments have very recently been placed on
the USTR's 301 list regarding lack of IP enforcment by
those countries law enforcment agencies and/or entities.
Hence it would seem less than reasonable that those
countries law enforcment agencies and/or entities are
at a minimum not appropriate to allow for them to have
unrestricted access to Whois data or any registrant unless
supervised by an appropriate law enforcment member or
body  yet to be defined and may possibly be defined by
this sgb in accordance with Miltons earlier suggestion.

  One must also understand that in a world marketplace
where ecommerce is a fast growing segment, Whois data
transcends nationality in such a world marketplace, and
data relevant or which is available in Whois, is therefore
significantly effected and relevant on a global scale.  Even
though nations do as you say, " run their own law enforcement
agencies as they feel appropriate" their actions or lack there of
effect directly other nations registrants accordingly.  Ergo,
assuming that one nations  law enforcement agency *Run their
law enforcement agency in a ethical, lawful, and appropriate
manner is definitely not necessarily considered such by another
nations law enforcement agency, nor meet or adhere to the
standards, even as a member of INTERPOL.  What is clear
is that the USTR does not consider all INTERPOL member
law enforcement agencies do so.

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04