ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] ESA proposal for sub-group (b) of Whois Working Group

  • To: Michael Warnecke <mwarnecke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] ESA proposal for sub-group (b) of Whois Working Group
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 12:08:25 -0400

Michael -

I'm not sure that this moves the conversation forward. A system which requires a third party to arbitrate access and levies additional fees on registrants smells an awful lot like the existing "Special Circumstances" proposal. The former issue is a concern from the perspective of national privacy legislation and the latter is simply unfair. Domain registrations are a user pays business - there's no reason why Whois should be any different.

Michael Warnecke wrote:
Dear sub-group (b),
I would like to submit the attached proposal for consideration. The Whois system serves as a vital tool in our efforts, and those of our members, to combat online piracy. It is our strong preference that the current system continue, without encumbering the Whois service with new restrictions that might compromise not only our own enforcement efforts but a variety of other legitimate purposes for which users routinely query the databases.
Mindful, however, that the mandate of this working group is to address implementation issues surrounding OPoC, we offer the following proposal as an alternative approach in an effort to move the conversation forward.
Cordially,
Michael Warnecke
Michael Warnecke
Counsel, IP & Technology Policy