ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

RE : [gnso-acc-sgb] ESA proposal for sub-group (b) of Whois Working Group

  • To: gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE : [gnso-acc-sgb] ESA proposal for sub-group (b) of Whois Working Group
  • From: Yaovi Atohoun <yaovito@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 18:18:09 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Michael,

  If I understand the Task Force Recommendation and the Working Group
Bacgrounder document,   the Whois will continue to publish a limited data
concerning each Registered Name. So I don't think really necessary for some of
your listed third parties to access the complete record.  They are:

  (2) determining availability of domain names;

  (6) contributing to user confidence in Internet by helping users identify
persons or entities responsible for online content and services;

  Could you please help me to better understand why these two categories?

  Thanks
  Yaovi Atohoun

Michael Warnecke <mwarnecke@xxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :        Dear sub-group (b),

  I would like to submit the attached proposal for consideration.

  The Whois system serves as a vital tool in our efforts, and those of our
members, to combat online piracy.  It is our strong preference that the current
system continue, without encumbering the Whois service with new restrictions
that might compromise not only our own enforcement efforts but a variety of
other legitimate purposes for which users routinely query the databases.

  Mindful, however, that the mandate of this working group is to address
implementation issues surrounding OPoC, we offer the following proposal as an
alternative approach in an effort to move the conversation forward.

  Cordially,

  Michael Warnecke

  Michael Warnecke
  Counsel, IP & Technology Policy