ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] GAC's position on Whois

  • To: <bdelachapelle@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-whois-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] GAC's position on Whois
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 18:32:55 -0400

Thanks for this clarification, Bertrand, it is quite helpful. I particularly
liked your reference to ""international public policy related to the Internet"
: what principles, norms, rules and decision-making procedures can be
established to allow both a sufficiently unified global regime and the respect
of heterogeneous national legislations."

Dr. Milton Mueller
http://www.digital-convergence.org
http://www.internetgovernance.org

>>> "Bertrand de La Chapelle" <bdelachapelle@xxxxxxxxx> 05/14/07 4:53 AM >>>

1) As a GAC member directly involved in the last discussions on the GAC's
WHOIS principles, I fully confirm Milton's comment above, which is of the
highest importance to understand the GAC's document.

The GAC's position is to recognize that there are legitimate activities that
have progressively used WHOIS data (because it happened to be available) and
at the same time that there is conflict between the present international
WHOIS regime for gTLDs and some national privacy laws (in particular within
the european union).

It purposefully avoided to say that the use of WHOIS data for these
activities is "per se" legitimate and that WHOIS data should remain
accessible in the present form to allow them, precisely because of the legal
issues of compatibility with national laws.

As a matter of fact, this is the very problem we are all trying to solve :
how to support legitimate activities and make sure that the WHOIS services
protect privacy.

2) I can also confirm that ccTLDs are a different issue, as their management
is handled by more national frameworks. National privacy laws are therefore
usually taken into account.

3) As a side note : the - non-exhaustive - list of "legitimate activities"
in the GAC principles illustrate the different "purposes" I have refered to
in the conference calls. Maybe this could be kept in mind while defining the
"legitimate third parties". Maybe we structure our work more around
legitimate needs, and try to define the corresponding legitimate parties and
technical modalities of access to specific sets of whois data ?

And we must also be aware that WHOIS is not the only tool available. Maybe
other additional procedures could be chartered separately.

4) Finally, as a general comment, the WHOIS  regime for gTLDs is a template
issue for a recurring problem in terms of "international public policy
related to the Internet" : what principles, norms, rules and decision-making
procedures can be established to allow both a sufficiently unified global
regime and the respect of heterogeneous national legislations.

It is also neither surprising nor bad that within each country, LEAs and
Privacy authorities have different viewpoints. The purpose of public policy
is not to make one win against the other but precisely to see how both
legitimate concerns can be combined and conciliated in the best public
interest balance

Hope the clarification helps us move forward.

Best

Bertrand

--
Bertrand de La Chapelle

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no better mission for humans than uniting humans")