ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

RE: [gnso-acc-sgb] Second draft report for Subgroup B

  • To: "Milton Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>, <gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-acc-sgb] Second draft report for Subgroup B
  • From: "Palmer Hamilton" <PalmerHamilton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 15:37:54 -0500

Dear Milton,

It seems that almost all of our time as a subgroup has been consumed by
the staking of respective positions, as opposed to our trying to reach
common ground.  I fear that your "Draft Report on Subgroup B
Deliberations" is reflective of this.

At present, I think it is fair to say that there is no proposal that has
gained the status of "agreement."

Even the LEA approach seems to merit only a claim to have the status of
"support."  A number of members of our Working Group on Subgroup B have
expressed concern about giving all LEAs access.  Others on the Subgroup
have expressed concern over whether the access would be through
Interpol, national agencies, or some other means.  In terms of the LEAs,
it is fair to say that the Subgroup is probably pretty much where it was
six weeks ago.  No real movement has occurred.

As far as private parties go, I think there has been virtually no effort
to find common ground.

I had understood that our Subgroup would not be voting or attempting to
winnow the proposals that would go to the entire Working Group.  Your
templates were intended, I understood, to provide a range of choices for
the entire Working Group.  By using the template, it had been hoped that
the proposals could be consolidated to an extent in order to lessen the
burden on the entire Working Group by reducing the number of proposals.

Unfortunately, I find your draft report is simply a de facto attempt to
eliminate almost all the proposals.  As you might expect, I particularly
object to your effort to effectively exclude the bank proposal from
consideration by the Working Group.  I would suggest that the bank
proposal is a detailed, specific approach that addresses one of the
biggest risks to internet users while addressing privacy concerns.

If you are going to categorize proposals as having "agreement,"
"support," and "alternate view status," I would insist that we use
formal voting by Constitutencies rather than informal characterization.

I understand the objection to such voting, and, frankly, I agree with
the concern that voting in this way tends to harden positions.  We
already have too many hardened positions.  BUT if you are going to use
formal terminology, I would suggest subjective characterizations by the
Chair, and frankly a Chair with thoughful, but strongly held personal,
positions is not appropriate to the process here.  I would respectfully
suggest either we not attempt to characterize with formal terminology
or, if we are going to use formal terminology, we use formal processes.
We shouldn't cloak informality with formal facades.  Either be formal or
not.

Finally, having said all this, let me put on the table what I am terming
a Blended Proposal.  As I say, the last six weeks have consisted of us
talking past one another, not to one another.  An exception to this
process has been some on-line and some off-line communications to me
from Dan Krimm and Eric Dierker.  If I am not going to be guilty of
doing what I am  bemoan above, I think I should put something on the
table that emanates from those discussions.  So, I am attaching a new
template that incorporates the ideas that have been suggested.  I
realize that much further vetting will be required.  Still, I think this
Blended Proposal represents a way to move us along.

I have labeled it as a Blended Proposal, because it provides banks with
access through LEAs (in this case governmental bank regulators), and it
is the result of suggestions made by Dan and Eric in this regard. It
also fits within your Fourth Category in the "Degree of Access Granted"
in your draft report.

I hope that this good faith effort to find common ground will result in
some forward movement, and I appreciate very much the input of Dan and
Eric into this process.