ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Blended proposal

  • To: "Ross Rader" <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Blended proposal
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <Mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 09:32:41 -0400

There is clearly a trade-off between certifiability, which implies a
well-bounded category of actor, and the comprehensiveness of any
proposal for access.

Palmer Hamilton wrote:
> Milton,
>
> PayPal does not hold a bank charter.

Neither do Visa or Mastercard or many other high profile financial
brands that criminals are using for phishing. Earlier Palmer indicated

that if we have the opportunity to protect millions of consumers
against
phishing, we should do so. I have strong doubts that giving a very
limited subset of financial institutions access to the mailing address

of the registrant will be of much use to anyone, and will come with a
large cost burden that will end up being borne by registrars and
registrants.

-ross