ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-arr-dt]

[gnso-arr-dt] RE: RT Applicant Qualifications

  • To: "William Drake" <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-arr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-arr-dt] RE: RT Applicant Qualifications
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 17:29:41 -0500

I think it would be good to have at least two categories of
qualifications: 1) those identified in the call for volunteers as listed
below; 2) qualifications to be used by the GNSO for endorsement
purposes.  Regarding the latter, here are my suggestions, the first two
of which I suggested some time ago:
1. Availability and willingness to commit the time (This would eliminate
candidates who have other significant GNSO leadership responsibilities
like myself for the first review.)

2. Demonstrated trustworthiness to function neutrally and objectively

3. Basic knowledge of the GNSO community and its various stakeholders

4. Basic understanding of the domain name industry (i.e., the
registry/registrar model, diversity of domain name registrants and
users, etc.)

For each of the above and for the criteria listed below, we should
discourage applicants from simply giving general affirmative answers and
rather ask them to provide specific data points.  For item 1 above, we
may want to request information like the following: a)  List the primary
demands on your time (e.g., full-time job, part-time job, volunteer
tasks, leadership positions, etc.); b) How much time on average do you
estimate you could commit to this task per week?  For item 2 above and
the fifth bullet below, we could ask applicants to cite specific real
life examples where they demonstrated the qualities.  For qualifications
that involve knowledge and understand like items 3 & 4 above and several
of the bulleted items below, we could ask them to explain how they
obtained the knowledge and understanding.

Chuck