ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-arr-dt]

[gnso-arr-dt] RT Applicant Qualifications

  • To: gnso-arr-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-arr-dt] RT Applicant Qualifications
  • From: William Drake <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 16:23:28 +0100

Hi,

Maybe it'd help to have separate threads per issue, rather than having points
blended and maybe getting lost.  So here's one on qualifications, in a sec
another on process.

On Feb 1, 2010, at 3:15 PM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:
> Whatever we do, I believe that the qualifications should be clearly
> communicated before we start the GNSO process so that possible volunteers are
> fully aware of the criteria that the GNSO will use in making endorsements and
> can explain how they satisfy those qualifications.  I also think it would be
> a good idea if specific questions were asked of volunteers that they would be
> required to answer in describing their qualifications.  Using a template for
> volunteer statements could greatly help us in evaluating the responses fairly.
ICANN's call suggest
> Applicants should possess the following professional and personal skills:
>
> Sound knowledge of ICANN and its working practices and culture;
> Good knowledge of the subject area of the review;
> Team spirit, adaptability;
> Willingness to learn;
> Capacity to put aside personal opinions or preconceptions;
> Analytical skills;
> Ability to interpret quantitative and qualitative evidence;
> Capacity to draw conclusions purely based on evidence;
> Commitment to devote his/her time to the review process
These generic qualifications could be difficult to assess in a manner everyone
considers objective and fair.  I don't look forward to making judgements on
someone's "team spirit," etc.

Either way, are they sufficient for our purposes, in which case we just
reference them?

Alternatively, Chuck, in raising the qualifications point several times, are
you thinking that we'd have additional ones optimized to the GNSO environment?
Specific to the RT in question?  For example, for the accountability and
transparency RT would we expect applicants to possess identifiable expertise in
council work processes?  That might be something of a barrier to entry for some
people who've not been on the council (who knows, and maybe some who have :-)
For competition & consumer would we require expertise on VI and related (which)
issues?  Could be daunting...for security and WHOIS I suppose it's easier...

Thoughts anyone?

Bill