ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-authoritative-thickwhois]

[gnso-authoritative-thickwhois] Questions from subgroup for experts group

  • To: Authoritative Thick WHOIS <gnso-authoritative-thickwhois@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-authoritative-thickwhois] Questions from subgroup for experts group
  • From: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 00:42:59 +0000

"Authoritativeness" subgroup of Thick Whois WG:

During our WG call yesterday, it was decided to ask subgroups to propose
questions to be posed to the "experts group" that has been assembled.  (The
names of members of the experts group were listed during the call but my notes
are incomplete.)

I suggest that one such question be the following, which I first posed about
two months ago (see
http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg/msg00049.html) without
substantive response:

The PIR Appendix U report), (posted as a reference document on our wiki, see
https://community.icann.org/display/PDP/8.+Reference+Documents),  includes the
following regarding the transition in .org from thin to thick Whois in 2003:

 On page 29 (section 2.2.1), PIR was required to report on "discrepancies
between Whois data provided by the Registrar and the Whois data in the Registry
Operator's Whois database after the migration of the Registrar to the thick EPP
model."  The report indicates that there were no such discrepancies.
Does this mean that (to PIR's knowledge) there were no differences between the
Whois data held by registrars and that held by the registry, at least through
June 2004, when the report was filed?  If so this could be a significant data
point for our working group.  (For example, in our "authoritativeness" subgroup
this question of discrepancies between registrar and registry Whois data has
already been raised.)  Or does this section of the report  refer to something
else?

If you have other questions relative to the subject matter of our subgroup that
you would like to see directed to the experts group, please circulate them at
your earliest convenience.  I hope to be able to forward a full set of
questions by the end of this week.

Thank you!

Steve Metalitz