ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg]

[gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] PIR report on transition to thick Whois for .org

  • To: "gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-thickwhoispdp-wg] PIR report on transition to thick Whois for .org
  • From: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 21:21:26 +0000

Re:  PIR Appendix U report
I hope everyone is enjoying a pleasant last week of 2013.  I spent a bit of it
reviewing this report (posted as a reference document on our wiki, see
https://community.icann.org/display/PDP/8.+Reference+Documents),  and I had a
couple of questions that those in our group who were involved with the
transition of .org to a thick Whois structure back in 2003 might be able to
answer.  If not, perhaps these could be referred to the team of experts from
that transition, which I gather is in the process of being assembled.
1.  On page 29 (section 2.2.1), PIR was required to report on "discrepancies
between Whois data provided by the Registrar and the Whois data in the Registry
Operator's Whois database after the migration of the Registrar to the thick EPP
model."  The report indicates that there were no such discrepancies.
Does this mean that (to PIR's knowledge) there were no differences between the
Whois data held by registrars and that held by the registry, at least through
June 2004, when the report was filed?  If so this could be a significant data
point for our working group.  (For example, in our "authoritativeness" subgroup
this question of discrepancies between registrar and registry Whois data has
already been raised.)  Or does this section of the report  refer to something
else?
2.  Part 3 of the report (page 30) consists of a table on "Centralized Whois
Complaints," and indicates that few such complaints were received during 2003
(the period during which the transition to thick Whois for .org took place).
According to the table, only six of such complaints received by PIR during the
year were "relating to privacy issues."
This part of the report (and see also
http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/registries/org/registry-agmt-appu-23oct02-en.htm,
 which specifies what this report is to contain) was apparently supposed to be
submitted annually ("no later than one month after each anniversary date after
the Commencement-of-Service date").  I have not been able to locate on the
ICANN site any such reports submitted later than June 2004.  Does anyone know
if this was done and if so where the reports can be found?  Once again this
could be a valuable data point about the experience of a large registry moving
to thick Whois and the impact on privacy as well as other aspects.
Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide!
Steve Metalitz