ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-authoritative-thickwhois]

[gnso-authoritative-thickwhois] authoritativeness in registry-registrar agreements

  • To: "'Neuman, Jeff'" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Tim Ruiz'" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Volker Greimann <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-authoritative-thickwhois] authoritativeness in registry-registrar agreements
  • From: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 20:11:43 +0000

I am not sure how illuminating these agreements are for our task.

Both the .org and .biz agreements define “registry database” as “a database
comprised of data about one or more DNS domain names within the domain of the
Registry TLD that is used to generate either DNS resource records that are
published authoritatively or responses to domain name availability lookup
requests or Whois queries, for some or all of those names.”   This implies that
the records are  authoritative with regard to published DNS resource records
but not necessarily with regard to Whois queries.  There is no other reference
in either agreement to authoritativeness.   However, I’d welcome perspectives
from those more familiar with these agreements than I am.

I have not yet reviewed the .us agreement but in any case that would not be
determinative on whether registry Whois is considered authoritative in gTLD
thick whois registries.

In any case I would chalk up Volker’s and Tim’s posts as votes to answer
question 1 below as “no” – this PDP does not need to determine
authoritativeness because the registry data is inherently authoritative.  As
noted, another and related reason for answering “no” is that the problem has
not arisen in any thick  registry, or at least has not risen to the level where
ICANN has felt any need to adopt a policy about it.

It would be great to hear at this point from any member of the subgroup who
believes that this PDP does need to address the issue of authoritativeness, so
that we can get all the relevant perspectives on the table.   Bonus points if
you then go on to provide an answer to question 2 (“ is there an inherent
contradiction if registrars continue to collect all data but the registry
database were authoritative?).

Steve Metalitz