ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ccwg-dt]

Re: [gnso-ccwg-dt] Cross community working groups

  • To: gnso-ccwg-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ccwg-dt] Cross community working groups
  • From: William Drake <william.drake@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 13:06:32 +0200

Hi

On May 23, 2011, at 11:32 AM, Stéphane Van Gelder wrote:

> I would add a question on the actual definition of a CWG in the bylaws.
> Currently, neither GNSO nor ICANN bylaws adequately define CWGs and this
> means that these groups are automatically in some sort of grey area. Hence
> some of the problems we've seen with them.

On a related note, there was much talk on the call last night equating CWGs
with "joint" WGs.  I asked in the Adobe chat but as this elicited no response
I'll try again: Are these necessarily the same beast? I don't have time to dig
through docs right now, but is there a definition of "joint" WGs somewhere that
would somehow make them exactly equivalent to the apparently undefined CWGs?

A priori, the notion of joint to me implies complete synchronization between
the chartering orgs, whereas cross-community connotes a overlapping sphere of
interest/dialogue/action regarding some subject matter, but this doesn't
necessarily exclude the possibilities that there may be matters that fall
outside that sphere & are pursued separately under their respective charters…

Any ontological guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill