ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ccwg-dt]

[gnso-ccwg-dt] Update following the Dakar meeting

  • To: "gnso-ccwg-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ccwg-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ccwg-dt] Update following the Dakar meeting
  • From: Liz Gasster <liz.gasster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 12:48:22 -0700

All,

Many thanks to those who were able to participate in our (early AM local time!)
Dakar meeting.  Special thanks in particular to Edmon Chung, Alan Greenberg and
Wendy Seltzer for offering their detailed and thoughtful assessments of
cross-community WGs based on their extensive experiences as active participants
and chairs of several recent Cross-SO and AC groups.  The speakers highlighted
areas of importance that should be considered carefully when developing
principles applicable to such groups.  Those who were not able to attend the
session are strongly encouraged to review the transcript
(http://dakar42.icann.org/meetings/dakar2011/transcript-ccwg-27oct11-en.pdf ).

Key meeting points:

1.       Presentations and Initial discussion:  The initial discussion focused
around key themes emphasized by the first speakers, including: the need for
clearly defined scope; the importance of understanding the perspectives (and
processes) of each SO and AC and the need to recognize unique aspects of each
SO and AC; and the desire to strike an appropriate balance between simplicity
and allowing the flexibility to accommodate varying processes of SOs and ACs
while retaining enough structure and rules to ensure confidence and
predictability in how these groups conduct their work.

2.       Discussion of next steps:  The group agreed with a suggestion made by
Chuck Gomes to seek GNSO Council concurrence to reach out in short order to
other SOs and ACs to work collaboratively on the principles and rules
applicable to CWGs as a way to accelerate progress by this group.

3.       The group began reviewing and editing the draft principles that have
previously been circulated (see slides pp. 8-9 here:
http://dakar42.icann.org/meetings/dakar2011/presentation-ccwg-27oct11-en.pdf ).
 Due to time limitations, the group did not complete this discussion - redline
edits are included in the attached (reformatted as a Word document) so that you
can follow the discussion - we only began to discuss the first "practice".
This can be continued on our upcoming call - please look for the "doodle" which
will be sent shortly to find a time for the group to meet next week.

Please let me know if I've missed any edits that were discussed - these are a
work in progress by the group.

Best regards, Liz