ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ccwg-dt]

RE: [gnso-ccwg-dt] Comments on the 22 Nov 2011 version

  • To: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-ccwg-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ccwg-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ccwg-dt] Comments on the 22 Nov 2011 version
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 12:19:26 +0000

Please see my comments and suggestions below in response to Alan's input.

Chuck

[Gomes, Chuck] I understand Alan's point but also believe that we need to be
careful to avoid the CWG from becoming an a policy influencing body independent
of the official policy development organizations.  Here is one way of possibly
dealing with this (with my changes in CAPS):  Change 1.i to " To provide
information and recommendations to the chartering organizations IN ACCORDANCE
WITH THE CHARTER OR DIRECTIONS FROM THE CHARTERING ORGANIZATIONS."  Cases that
Allen is concerned about could be dealt with up-front, if anticipated, by
allowing for them in the charter.  In the event of unanticipated cases, which
will likely occur, the CWG could request permission from the chartering
organizations.  To cover the latter, the charter could have a procedure for the
CWG to quickly obtain permission for communications to groups other than the
chartering organizations.

> >1.ii A discussion forum to achieve greater community understanding
> >either prior to a PDP to help define issues and concerns, or
> >following a PDP to provide implementation recommendations or related
> guidance.
>
> This sounds like this would be the prime reason for starting a CWG
> and in reality, that may not be the case (again, look at DSSA).
> Perhaps changing "Purpose" to "Possible Purposes could include" would
> fix it.

[Gomes, Chuck] At first glance, this change seems okay to me.

> >1.a.i Apply appropriate SO WG Guidelines to all CWGs whenever
> possible.
>
> At the very least, SO should be AC/SO as in other cases. But the word
> "applicable" also comes to mind.

[Gomes, Chuck] I am fine with both changes: "Apply applicable AC/SO WG
Guidelines . . ."