ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ccwg-dt]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-ccwg-dt] Some "do" and "don't" ideas -- hat-tip to Wendy

• To: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, gnso-ccwg-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ccwg-dt] Some "do" and "don't" ideas -- hat-tip to Wendy
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 23:58:07 -0500

I think the 2nd and 3rd from the end are a bit much (deep reviews every 2-3 months and weekly status reports). I think the issue is that chartering organizations (or perhaps the chartering organization leadership) should NOT just forget about the CWG. But lets keep the bureacracy light.

Alan

At 23/11/2011 10:34 AM, Mike O'Connor wrote:

hi all,

i was quite taken with Wendy's idea to develop a list of "do"s and "don't"s on our call yesterday and thought i'd devote my first cup of coffee to starting a list like that. here's the result. feel free to ignore any and all of these -- made for a great thought-exercise. my son is flying home for Thanksgiving today (the worst travel day of the year in the US), so airplanes are on my mind...

Do -- devote a lot of time and effort to develop a detailed charter for the CWG working group that is deeply endorsed by the sponsoring organizations. Don't -- put the WG leaders in the position of having to invent pieces of the charter while the working group is under way -- this is like repairing an airplane while it is flying.

Do -- ensure that the puzzle that's to be solved by the WG is extremely clear and includes a chronology of how the puzzle came about (including other WGs that have attempted to solve the same puzzle in the past, descriptions of other unresolved conflicts, etc.). Don't -- put a WG to work on a puzzle that is ill-defined or addresses deeper/hidden issues -- this is like launching an airplane without maps or a destination.

Do -- include as many affected stakeholders in the WG as possible (radical thought -- if staff or Board are affected-stakeholders, include them as sponsors and members). Don't -- consciously leave a stakeholder group unrepresented -- this is like leaving passengers at the terminal.

Do -- define the scope of the work to be done with bright-line, easy-to-understand language that is again deeply endorsed by the sponsors. Don't -- leave blurry edges for WG leaders to interpret on their own -- this is like flying an airplane without closing the doors before takeoff.

Do -- break the work into manageable "chunks" that it can be completed within 8-12 months (18 at the absolute outside). Don't -- knowingly set up extremely long efforts -- this is like trying to fly a plane from London to Wellington, NZ without stops or alternate crew.

Do -- include the approach and methods that the WG is expected to follow in the charter (at least at a high level). Don't -- leave the job of methods-development or selection to the WG team -- this is like asking the pilots write their own pre-flight checklist.

Do -- identify and address WG-readiness issues before launching the effort. Don't -- start up a WG without providing time and resources for the members to "get ready" for the work to follow -- this is like putting an unprepared crew on the airplane.

Do -- entrust a couple of WG-liaisons from each AC/SO to form a Steering Committee for the WG. Don't -- require the whole AC/SO to arrive at consensus over every issue that the WG needs guidance or feedback on. Don't -- put WG leaders in the position of avoiding getting feedback because the process will take several months -- this is like requiring the airline Board of Directors to approve a decision to hold a flight due to bad weather.

Do -- conduct deep reviews of WG progress every 8-12 weeks with the Steering Committee. Don't -- wait until major deliverables are complete before conferring with WG leaders over issues and concerns -- this would be like not checking to see if the plane is following its flight plan.

Do -- establish a weekly routine of status and progress reporting. Don't -- make this so complicated or time consuming that the reports don't get completed -- this is like making the instruments so complicated that the pilots don't have time to look out the windows to see what's in front of them.

Do -- strive to make the job of leading and participating in WGs work that can be accomplished by people of ordinary ability. Don't -- set the work up in such a way that it requires "super-heros" to get the work done -- this would be like setting up airplanes so that only test-pilots would have the skills to fly them.

now *that* was some fun to write.

i hope this brightens up your next cup of coffee.

mikey

- - - - - - - - -
phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     http://www.haven2.com
handle  OConnorStP (ID for public places like Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc.)

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy