ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

[gnso-consensus-wg] from the "creative solutions" department part 2

  • To: <gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-consensus-wg] from the "creative solutions" department part 2
  • From: "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 10:30:59 +0200

If we are being creative.

1. Users versus registrants ?
I understand the terminology but do not understand the difference with respect
to GNSO
policy.
I do not sure discussing a difference is helpful.
Certainly the joint users proposal was specifically called just that.
Acknowledging that the
commercial and the non-commercial groups would BOTH include users, registrants
and
individuals.

2. Future role of nom com
It is difficult to discuss nom com without understanding what we want them to
achieve and
how that would be done. Specifically I do not understand the tie-break
philosophy at all.
In what way do delegates (who are users) have any standing to tie break between
users and
contract parties? (This get even odder once we realise that nom com are
appointed by by a
body dominated by At large and we have an ambition to have At Large within a
GNSO group who
would then subject to the tie-break.)

(Following Milton's suggestion of insider representation in the R & Rs, maybe
this would be
the place for two nom com reps with a brief to understand the R & Rs
perspective but from
the viewpoint of a neutral observer?)

3. Voting
I find the idea of separate voting thresholds for all matters not related to
consensus
policy helpful. Lets pursue this thinking.
Practically, it simply means we apply the highest threshold for consensus
policy and lower
thresholds elsewhere.

Philip